Affiliate links have been used in this post.
Who would love to do some self-paced online courses for music appreciation with your kids? I’d love to share about some from Gena Mayo of Music in Our Homeschool. She has 4 courses that will teach your kids about composers, styles, and musical concepts, while at the same time being so much fun! Check out the free preview lessons at the bottom of each course page.
Each course comes with lifetime access and is self-paced, so students can do it independently. My middle and high schoolers are current working through the musicals course and the 20th century music appreciation course. We love it!
This week we are having an awesome giveaway where one lucky person will win lifetime access to all four courses, since Gena has decided to partner with us in a giveaway. This is almost a $200 value!
Here are descriptions of the 4 courses:
- Lessons to read
- Videos to watch
- Complete each lesson in 15 minutes.
- More material is included if you’d like to expand the time or the days on a particular lesson.
- Some of the lessons include the harp, Patriotic music, and a cappella singing, Handel’s Messiah, and birds in classical music.
- Ten lessons on ten different musicals.
- Read about the story and background.
- Watch video clips.
- Work on one printable per lesson.
- Take an online quiz.
- Explore links to outside sites with other materials to enrich your study.
- The ten musicals are Annie, Seussical, Cats, James and the Giant Peach, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Mary Poppins, Newsies, Annie Get Your Gun, The Music Man, and The Wizard of Oz.
- Semester course
- 18 lessons
- All videos and printables included
- Use for high school credit
- Appropriate for K-12th grades
- Some of the composers and styles include Josquin Desprez, motets, concertos, Bach, Handel, orchestra, harpsichord, Mozart, opera, and Beethoven, and much more.
- Full-year course
- 36 lessons
- All videos and printables included
- Use for high school credit
- Appropriate for K-12th grades
- Some of the composers and styles included are John Phillip Sousa, Ragtime, Big Band, Opera, Puccini, Gershwin, Stravinsky, Rock and Roll, Elvis Presley, Jazz, Folk Music, Film Music, John Williams, John Cage, serialism, Schoenberg, and more!
Peter Paul Rubens was a Flemish Baroque painter in the 1600s. I just love his work, both because of the wide range of subject matter and styles that he did so well, but also because of the beauty and warmth that come through so many of his works, particularly those featuring his family. So often old time portraits can seem stoic and severe, and to me Rubens shares devotion and chemistry in relationships that seem very much in tune with a way people of the 21st century can appreciate and relate to!
This collection features 19 printable works of art in this collection, ranging from Biblical themes, ancient Greece, royalty and wealth, genre works, and many beautiful portraits featuring his family. You will love this collection!
I’m giving it away FREE in January to our Subscriber Perks Members! (which is also free to join) Click here to get started with your free art today!
You can also watch my little show and tell about this collection here!
Are you wanting to be educated, encouraged, and equipped in your homeschool journey? Then you will want to attend one of the Great Homeschool Conventions in 2017!
The 2017 dates and locations are:
TEXAS Homeschool Convention, Fort Worth Convention Center, Fort Worth, TX – February 23-25, 2017
SOUTHEAST Homeschool Convention, TD Convention Center, Greenville, SC, March 16-18, 2017
MIDWEST Homeschool Convention, Duke Energy Convention Center, Cincinnati, OH, April 20 – 22, 2017
CALIFORNIA Homeschool Convention, Ontario Convention Center, Ontario, CA, June 15 – 17, 2017
This year, GHC will feature more than 230 speaking sessions, led by a world-class featured speaker roster which also includes a number of highly-focused special tracks.
- Cynthia Tobias, a regular contributor and radio broadcaster for Focus on the Family, will be speaking in our Parenting Track along with Norm Wakefield, Drive Thru History’s Dave Stotts, Dr. Thomas White, Pastor Randy Frazee, and more.
- J. Warner Wallace, atheist-turned-Christian author and homicide detective, will speak to our teens during the Real Faith for the Real World teen track.
- Sarah Mackenzie, Dr. Christopher Perrin, Adam Andrews, John De Gree, Dr. Carol Reynolds, S.D. Smith, and more, are back and better than ever, presenting invaluable sessions for the Classical Education Track.
- New this year is our Charlotte Mason Track with guest presenters Brandy Vencel, Dr. Jen Spencer, and Sheila Carroll.
- Janice Campbell will be sharing her wisdom and years of experience as a seasoned homeschooler in the Homeschool 101 track structured to guide beginning homeschooling families and those just considering homeschooling.
- Our College Track, sponsored by Cedarville University, will address theme Life Beyond High School: How to pay for and go through the process of choosing the right college.
In addition to these focused tracks, we also have a host of other speaking sessions covering how-to’s and tips of teaching math, language arts, science, writing, foreign language, and more. Check out our posted workshop preview which is only a sample of what is to come.
Moms will benefit from sessions encouraging them to continue their homeschooling journey, despite the obstacles and stresses that may be involved.
Children will have the option to enjoy a conference of their own! Hosted by Giant Cow Ministries, your children will love this high-energy, Biblical-based children’s conference.
A huge exhibit hall will be available for you to explore all the best curriculum and homeschooling resources available under one roof. Make sure to wear comfortable shoes! Many of the curriculum authors will be present to answer your questions and help you decide which curriculum best fits your child’s learning style. There is no better way to make that all-important curriculum decision than to have “hands-on” access to every possible resource, right before your eyes.
As each day winds down after a full schedule of presentations and shopping, you will have the opportunity to spend valuable time with your family and enjoy the evenings at our special events.
Jeff Foxworthy Live! 13 Million Albums Sold….Largest Selling Comedian of all Time! Coming to the Texas Homeschool Convention.
Jeff Foxworthy is one of the most respected and successful comedians in the country. He is the largest-selling comedy-recording artist in history, a multiple Grammy Award nominee, and best-selling author of more than 26 books. In 2014, he was inducted into the Georgia Music Hall of Fame. Widely known for his redneck jokes, his act goes well beyond them to explore the humor in everyday family interactions and human nature, a style that has been compared to Mark Twain’s.
Holocaust Survivor Dr. Inge Auerbacher
Coming to Texas!
Holocaust survivor Dr. Inge Auerbacher will give an account of her time spent in a concentration camp beginning as a 7-year-old child. She spent the worst years of her life surviving as best she could with her family in the cruelest of conditions. Her story helps us to “Never Forget.” Dr. Auerbacher is living history that you and your children may never have the opportunity to witness again.
Coming to all four 2017 GHC events!
Christian homeschooling dad and musician Andrew Peterson will perform on Thursday evening and lead a very special workshop session on Friday morning! As a musician in Nashville, he has “been about the business of quietly changing lives in four-minute increments.” Join us for an evening enjoying Andrew’s music, as well as his special Friday morning session!
Coming to Texas and California events!
We are very honored to also welcome Nick Vujicic! Born without arms or legs, Nick has chosen to be “better instead of bitter.” He will deliver an inspirational and compelling testimony about his determination to enjoy the life and purpose God has given him.
Coming to all four 2017 events!
Michael Franzese, former mobster with the feared Colombo crime family, will give his testimony as a born-again Christian. This session is described by past listeners as “…open and honest…fresh and unique. Audiences are captivated by stories of his personal experiences in organized crime and genuinely affected by his powerful anti-crime messages and eye-opening revelations.”
Coming to the MidWest event!
Stan and Jan Berenstain introduced the first Berenstain Bear books in 1962. Mike Berenstain grew up watching his parents work together to write about and draw these lovable bears. Eventually he started drawing and writing about them too. Though Stan died in 2005, and Jan in 2012, Mike continues to create the delightful Bear adventures from his studio in Pennsylvania, in an area that looks much like the sunny dirt road deep in Bear Country.
Coming to the SouthEast, MidWest, and California events!
Many moons ago—before the invention of Ritalin or the Internet—a young, broke college student named Roberto Antonio Smiley (Bob) signed up for a stand-up competition at his Student Union Building. The prize money was $500, which was nearly 5 months rent for the “efficiency” closet Smiley was living in at the time. Though he had never stepped on a stage, and the only prior laughs he had gotten were due to his colossal leprechaun ears, he went for the gold. When he arrived, his only competition was a grown man wearing an oversized sombrero with no act…so…he won the money and the tender hearts of his fellow students. The rest is history.
Coming to the MidWest event!
John Crist continues to gain momentum as one of America’s young rising stars of comedy. Crist’s style of edgy but clean comedy keeps him on the road for a whirlwind schedule of over 250 live shows per year.
When asked how he finds the inspiration to write jokes, Crist says, “Shoot, I grew up in the south. My dad is a pastor, and I was the third of eight homeschooled children. Coming from a background like that, how do you not write jokes?!”
FREE Gifts to all that register:
As an additional benefit, those who register for the convention receive the following:
- A free Andrew Peterson album download (8 songs, a $7.99 value!)
- Free streaming access ($59 value) to all twelve episodes of “Ancient History” as well as “The Gospels” (episode 1) from our friends at DriveThru History. (Don’t wait though—the free access to these awesome history episodes is available only until October 1, 2017.)
- A free download of The Berenstain Bears Say Their Prayers e-book by Mike Berenstain (a $1.99 value) E-book offer is from the publisher, Zondervan.
- A free download of Focus on the Family audio recording: Bonhoeffer: The Cost of Freedom ($9.99 value)
- A free download of Adventures in Odyssey episode of Amazing Grace ($1.99 value)
Don’t forget to book your accommodations! Partnering hotels offer great rates to convention attendees, but our reserved blocks of hotel rooms sell out quickly, so be sure to book early. Find a hotel here.
As you can see, this coming year is going to be better than ever. We strive to educate by presenting speakers who are professionals in their field and who can better prepare you for the journey, aspire to encourage you as you connect with like-minded, grace-filled families, and endeavor to equip you with comprehensive curriculum choices in the largest homeschool curriculum halls in the country.
Our mission is to help you and your children’s homeschooling journey so that it may be more successful and less stressful in your God-given right to home-educate your children.
Invite your friends and family to a homeschooling event like none other!! Early-bird discounts are on-sale now.
Here’s what others are saying:
I was so overwhelmed as this is my first year homeschooling. I walked away with a greater sense of confidence and direction.
My husband got the encouragement he needed to be a part of our homeschool experience.
The quality and variety of speakers is what sets this convention apart from others.
Definitely the place to go to get answers to any questions you may have about curriculum.
Go! It’s worth every minute and every penny!
Great Homeschool Conventions is very thankful for their sponsors: World News Group, World Vision, Focus on the Family/Adventures in Odyssey, National Center for Life and Liberty, and Cedarville University!
This giveaway has ended. The winner is Leesa. Congratulations!
After our wonderful giveaway last month for the membership to The Online Ballet Studio, I decided it was time to explore ballet in art. It has certainly been an enduring and popular subject in art, and this collection includes 20 pieces from Degas, Renoir, Macke, Repin, Manet, Metcalf, and Somov. Not only are these pieces often very beautiful, but you’ll get to see different styles and approaches to depicting dance. (candid or portrait style? monochromatic color scheme, or pops of color? figure study or snapshot of the culture?)
Right now you can get this collection for FREE when you join our Subscriber Perks Membership! (which is also free!) Click here to get yours now.
This blog post includes referral links.
It’s that time of the year again over at Homeschool Giveaways! Every year they do a big bundle of FREE stuff homeschoolers love for Black Friday. You can get it all for FREE (no purchase necessary or any “catch.”)
This year you will get 11 FREE products for your homeschool and even a few items for YOU! This package is valued at over $160 and is totally FREE!
In addition to the amazing FREEBIES, you also get access to the Black Friday Deals and Sales with savings up to 80% off on products homeschoolers love!
- Ellen McHenry Science Curriculum
- Writing Curriculum
- Geography, Anatomy, Life cycles, Geology, and Astronomy Resource
- Fine Arts Study
- Famous Inventors Collection from right here at Enrichment Studies!
- Homemaking Planner and E-course
- Christian Coloring Book and Devotional For Teen Girls
- Marriage 3-book Set
- John James Audubon Set Of Copywork, Notebooking And Coloring Pages
So…what’s the catch? I just get all of this for FREE?
Yep! If you are a subscriber over at Homeschool Giveaways then you are familiar with offers like this and know how awesome they are. If not, trust me, you want to be. They do stuff like this throughout the year and have some pretty incredible free offers for homeschoolers (even FULL curriculum!)
If you want to check out these free offers, all you have to do is click here. If you decide you want to claim it, you just enter your name and email and BAM – you get instant access!
To sweeten the deal, you get a special link you can refer your friends with. The person who refers the MOST people who also download the offer will win $200 Christmas Cash!
The holiday season can be a tricky time for homeschool families, as they try to stay on track with regular school amidst all of the schedule changes and extra activities going on. The good news is that if you make a little shift in your thinking about what’s important for your homeschool family, you can work WITH the season and enjoy learning and family time and the joy of the holidays all at once!
Right now over at Life of a Homeschool Mom there is a fun series of blog posts from tons of different homeschool bloggers who are sharing their ideas, resources, and encouragement to help you get the most out of this season! You can see a listing of all the posts in the series here. (some are already available, some are coming over the next few weeks)
I’m excited to say that I’ve joined in the fun over there, telling about the wonderfulness of Fine Art Pages, and offering our Thanksgiving and Christmas Fine Art Pages collections for FREE! Yup. For reals. So get on over there to get yours today, and please do let your friends and fellow homeschoolers know about this, because I’d like to help everybody make their holidays more beautiful and enriching this year! You can click any of the share buttons below to give us a shout out in facebook or twitter, or pin this on Pinterest. Thanks. 🙂